Kale Mushroom Bread Pudding has bread, it’s savory and it’s pudding(ish)! It could easily be a HEALTHY vegan dish the whole fam-damily will to grow love (well, at least the grown ups).
Holiday food is all about comforting carbs, fresh herbs and rich, creamy textures. What could be more comforting than a big helping of savory bread pudding? (Definitely not those weird molded salads of my childhood!)
This kale mushroom bread pudding recipe is made with no oil or dairy—not even a pat of vegan butter! But you get all the rich and creamy texture you’d hope for in a comfort food from cashews, plant milk, nutritional yeast and a bit of ground flaxseed to help firm things up.
The hearty, healthy kale, earthy shitake and cremini mushrooms, and fresh rosemary blend together in a harmonious trio in this dish. And if you can nab a great loaf of rustic bread (I personally LOVE a light rye with caraway seeds in this recipe), it can really take this kale mushroom bread pudding to the next level.
This Kale Mushroom Bread Pudding recipe is vegan--with NO oil or dairy--but still delivers all the rich, creamy texture you want in a comfort food.
- 5 cups rustic bread, 1 inch cubed (about 1/2 loaf. I really like rye bread for this recipe)
- 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup cashew pieces soaked (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup diced shallot (about 1 medium shallot)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary minced
- 1 bunch kale chopped (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 pound mushrooms sliced (I like a blend of shitakes and creminis)
- Cube your bread first, then spread the cubes out on your cutting board so they get a bit stale while you're preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Next, prepare the 'batter.' In a blender, combine the soaked cashew pieces, non-dairy milk, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon juice and salt. Blend until creamy. Add the flax seed and blend just a few seconds to mix in. Allow the batter to rest in the blender at room temperature while you saute the kale and mushrooms.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small pan or Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of water over medium heat. Add the shallots a pinch of salt, and saute 2-3 minutes. Add the rosemary and saute another 1-2 minutes, until the shallots are soft. Add water a tablespoon at a time if things begin to stick.
- Add the mushrooms, stir, and cook until they begin to release their liquid and get soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the kale, stir, well, and cook uncovered 2-3 minutes. Cook covered another 3-5 minutes or more until the kale is tender and not bitter.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the bread cubes, kale/mushroom mixture, and batter from the blender. Add sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Stir well, and allow to rest 15 minutes, or until the bread has soaked up some of the batter.
- Spoon the mixture into a baking dish, and bake, uncovered, about 40 minutes or until heated through. Don't overcook or the pudding will dry out.
Soak cashews in hot water for 1 hour or overnight at room temperature for about 6-8 hours
This recipe was republished with permission from Healthy Midwestern Girl.
Become a CLUBKINDLY member today!