It’s a common misconception that A) plants don’t have protein and, B) because of this vegans and vegetarians are protein deficient. Needless to say, this is not true & many plants have full amino acid profiles (sweet potato being king here) – this recipe is a perfect example of that; packing in a whopping 60% of my RDA according to cronometer so is a perfect, high-energy way to start your day or end a work-out.
Kickstarter Protein Porridge
– 1/2 cup rolled oats
– 1 cup water
– 1 cup blueberries
– Tbsp chia seeds
– Tbsp hemp hearts
– Tbsp unsweetened desiccated coconut
– Tbsp puffed rice
– Tbsp buckwheat groats
– 5 dried apricot halves
– Tsp nutmeg
– Add water (or dairy free milk if you prefer) & oats to a saucepan and turn the hob on to a medium heat
– Add the nutmeg & 2/3 of the blueberries
– Stir intermittently until warm; 4-5 minutes should do
– Scoop into a bowl and top with remaining ingredients – uniform lines or abstract sprinkles, it’s not going to last long anyway
This recipe also works well cold; so for an ‘overnight oat’ version which you can grab on the go, simply add all ingredients to a seal-able jar and side-step the cooking process.
Enjoy – your biceps will thank you!