If you’ve ever lived in the South you’ve probably heard of buckeyes. Buckeyes are smooth peanut butter mixed with powdered sugar and dipped in chocolate, YUM! These buckeye brownies use the same delicious ingredients but there’s a layer of chewy brownie on the bottom. This recipe uses a few hacks to save time and make it healthier — of course, if you want to go 100% homemade that’s totally up to you!
Using brownie mix makes this recipe super quick and easy. Pureed black beans take the place of oil and eggs, while giving them that perfect fudgy texture! Buckeyes traditionally use smooth peanut butter but you can definitely use crunchy peanut butter instead if you want to shake things up and add a little more texture!
Allergy Friendly Tip! If you or someone you know has a peanut or nut allergy you can definitely use sunflower butter or any other alternative nut butter in the place of peanut butter and the recipe will come out just as tasty!
- 1 box brownie mix, I used Duncan Hines (it's accidentally vegan)
- 15 ounces black beans, drained and washed
- 1 cup water
- If you to go 100% homemade you can use my fudgy protein brownie recipe
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons almond milk or other plant-milk of choice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Blend the drained and washed black beans with 1 cup of water in a blender until you have a smooth puree.
- Add the black bean and water puree to a large mixing bowl with the brownie mix and mix together until smooth.
- Place the brownie mix into a non-stick brownie pan and bake for 20-25 minutes until you can insert a toothpick into the center and it comes out clean.
- While the brownies are baking place the peanut butter and powdered sugar into a medium bowl and mix together until fully incorporated.
- When the brownies are finished and cooled, spread the peanut butter mixture evenly on top.
- Next prepare the chocolate layer by placing the chocolate chips and almond milk in a microwave safe bowl and microwaving for 30 seconds at a time, mixing frequently until the chocolate chip mixture is fully melted and smooth.
- Pour the melted chocolate on top and spread evenly across the peanut butter layer.
- Let cool in the fridge until the chocolate has solidified and serve!
This recipe was republished with permission from Vegan Guide to the Galaxy.
Become a CLUBKINDLY member today!