This Creamy Vegan Mac and Cheese recipe is a bit of a non-traditional take on one of my favorite holiday dishes, but it still delivers plenty of comfort. The sauce in this recipe marries a smokiness to a cheesiness that you will dream about for years to come. Bring joy to your family with this vegan option.
- 290 grams sweet potato cooked, cooled and skinned
- 175 grams of a small cauliflower cooked and cooled
- ¼ cup white miso paste
- 0.1 ounce teaspoon sea salt
- 12 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 1 cup cashew milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 14 ounces macaroni
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, for the crumb topping
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- Preheat the oven to 400° Fahrenheit.
- Add all of the sauce ingredients into a blender and blend until completely smooth (if you have a smaller blender you might need to do it in 2 stages.).
- Fill a large pan with water and bring to a rolling boil. Cook the macaroni as directed on the packaging.
- Pour the cheese sauce from the blender into a pan and warm it throughout over a medium heat, stirring constantly until it is hot, glossy and the texture of a cheese sauce (it should only take about 5 minutes).
- Finish with the butter if you are using it, as it adds a richness and extra glossiness. Just stir it in, then remove from the heat.
- Drain the pasta, return to the pan and stir through the sauce.
- Quickly wash out and dry your blender. Break the bread into pieces and place in the blender with the butter or olive oil. Blend until it crumbs.
- Spoon the saucy macaroni into an oven proof dish, then sprinkle the crumbs evenly.
- Place in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until it is piping hot and the crumb topping is crispy and a golden brown.
- The dish is best if served immediately...enjoy!
This recipe was republished with permission from Moon Meals.
Image Credit: Adobe Stock
Become a CLUBKINDLY member today!