Charcuterie boards are a host’s best friend, and a party staple. They effortlessly take the pressure off the timing of a dinner party, and pair beautifully with alcohol, keeping everyone happily milling about. Impress your guests with this homemade, festive ‘cheese’ ball, and surround it with all of your favorite nuts, fruits, crackers and accoutrements. Your board, your rules.
Vegan Charcuterie Board
Prep Time: 40 minutes | Active Cook Time: 15 minutes | Serves 6 to 8
2 cups (250 grams) cashews, soaked in water overnight
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons white or yellow miso paste
1 lemon, juiced & zested
1 tablespoon agar agar flakes
1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
⅓ cup dried cranberries, roughly chopped
1 sprig rosemary, roughly chopped
Board, to serve:
Assorted Nuts, 2 kinds
Assorted dried fruit, 2 kinds
Assorted crackers:, 2 kinds
Vegan charcuterie, 2 kinds
Fresh fruit, 2-3 kinds
Non-dairy cheese, 1-2 kinds
- In a food processor, combine your soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, miso paste, salt, garlic powder, and lemon juice. Mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the agar agar with 3 tablespoons of water. Microwave for 30 seconds, then stir until dissolved.
- Pour the agar agar into the food processor, mixing until combined.
- Transfer the mixture into a cheesecloth-lined cereal bowl. Gather the cloth at top, and twist while shaping the mixture into a ball. Chill for 4 hours or overnight until slightly firm.
- In a wide, shallow bowl, combine the cranberries and rosemary. Unwrap the ‘cheese’ ball and roll in the cranberry mixture.
- Place the ‘cheeseball’ on your serving board, adding an assortment of crackers, fruit, nuts, and pickles.