Indulge in a classic takeout dish without leaving home – or even opening a delivery app. This easy vegan egg and chicken fried rice recipe relies on mostly store-bought ingredients, so all you really need to do is dump and stir. It comes together in about 20 minutes and perfectly mimics the authentic inauthenticity of the Chinese takeout we’ve all come to love and crave. However, I can guarantee it’s a lot healthier! Plus, no need to tip the delivery guy. Grab some chopsticks and enjoy a quality Netflix n’ Chill session with a big batch of vegan fried rice!
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup of peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 pack (250g) precooked whole grain rice
- 100g firm tofu, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Generous pinch of black salt
- 1/4 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 60g Oumph! The Chunk (or other vegan chicken)
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spices
- 1/3 cup black bean sauce (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 1/3 cup mango, diced
- Drain the tofu and using a fork mash in a bowl. Leave it fairly chunky for the egg-like texture.
- Add the nutritional yeast, salt and soy sauce to the crumbled tofu.
- Mix together and let it marinate while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of sesame oil in a wok or frying pan.
- Add the chopped spring onion, garlic, peas and Oumph!
- Stir on a high heat for a couple of minutes.
- Add the spices, marinated tofu, and cashews and stir constantly so it doesn't burn.
- After a minute or so, add the black bean sauce (save some to garnish) and stir in thoroughly.
- Now, add the rice and lower the heat. Make sure the rice is coated in sauce and the grains aren't stuck together (use the back on the spoon to separate).
- Cook on a low heat for 5 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Using a smallish bowl (that will fit the rice) brush with a little oil to stop the rice sticking.
- Add the rice and press firmly into the bowl.
- Place a warm (not hot) plate over the top of the bowl and tip upside down.
- Tap the bowl and give it a little shake. When you lift away the bowl you should have a perfectly formed mound.
- Garnish with mango and pomegranate seeds and the rest of the black bean sauce.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
This recipe was republished with permission from Aaron Calder Vegan. You can find his YouTube channel here.
Become a CLUBKINDLY member today!