I had so many requests for a parmigiana recipe, and I really wanted to make something healthy-ish with low/no oil (if you add your own cashew cheese or other homemade cheese to the top, you could easily make this recipe oil-free).
I loved the texture of the chick’n and it didn’t have a strong mock meat flavour or texture.
- Chick'n Cutlet:
- 1/3 cup cannellini beans
- 1/8 cup of chicken stock
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- pinch of ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup wheat gluten (gluten flour)
- 1/6 teaspoon all purpose seasoning
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Tomato Sauce:
- 1/3 tin of organic crushed tomato
- 1 tablespoon finely diced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil (can use a couple of leaves of fresh if you have it)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- dash of water
- 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Follow Your Heart Mozzarella Shreds
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- In a small bowl mash the cannellini beans.
- Once mashed, add in the soy sauce, chicken stock, black pepper and all purpose seasoning and mix well.
- Sprinkle in the wheat gluten and combine until all is wet. If you need to, add in a little bit extra water.
- Form into the shape of a cutlet, you want to make sure your cutlet is no more than half a centimeter thick.
- On a plate sprinkle your bread crumbs and dip the cutlet in. Make sure it is well coated.
- Place on a baking tray and put in oven for about 15 - 20 minutes. Flip at the halfway mark.
- You want it to be just starting to turn golden brown.
- While your cutlet is cooking, Chop your onion and add onion, minced garlic and water and cook until onion starts to go clear and fragrant.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes and if they are a bit chunky mash them up.
- Add in the tomato paste, basil and parsley.
- Allow to simmer for about 15 - 20 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Bring your cutlet out of the oven and place in a baking tray. Coat it with the tomato sauce and then sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Place back in your oven for about 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
- Serve with chips, a side salad (or both).
This recipe was republished with permission from Amanda Fisher.
Become a CLUBKINDLY member!